Friday 26 October 2012

DIY - Stella Jean Studded Ankara bangles

Hello once more and to my muslim brothers and sisters, I say Barka Da Sallah! Has this been a great week or what? Well, it has been for me and I hope it's the same for you as well cos most importantly we should be thankful cos we are alive right? right :-) Now as you may now know, i'm currently crushing on Stella Jean, so in my search (more like stalking), I happened to find these bangles of hers amongst other 'treasures' and decided to DIY them.
Stella Jean Bangle - retailing at 201 USD


there's more on the other side!



Stella Jean Bangle retailing at 158 USD




For this tutorial, you'll need:
a bangle- I used a wooden bangle here.

Studs - here, I used iron - on studs



Glue 

Gist (Nigerian slang for chat):

1.Cut a strip of fabric on the 'bias' I.e across a square section like you are cutting a strip off a diagonal. I put up two pictures showing this with the tape on the bias, and the second showing the tape on the straight grain of the fabric. 






2. Cut your fabric - The fabric should be just long enough to go round the bangle and wide enough to close in neatly on the inside although you'll need to finish off with some ribbon to make it look neat. (remember this fabric is cut on the bias)




3. I used iron-on studs for this project so if you are not, just insert your studs on the fabric by piercing them through the fabric and pressing down with a flat head screw driver.




4.Spread your glue on d bangle. NOTE- don't apply too much glue.




5.Place your fabric on top of the bangle, smoothen evenly, and finish off with some ribbon or trimming on the inside to conceal rough edges..






 and there we have our very own studded bangle. cool eh? 








xoxo,
onnari. 
Photo Credits:
www.farfetch.com

24 comments:

temilade said...

Onnari thanks for reaching out,I feel blessed reading this,its the same I way I feel when am on foreign diy sites,am like these people are so nice ,I think you're nicer because we tend to hide things from ourselves in this part of the world,I appreciate your bold step in doing diy.wish you success in your fashion business.

temmy said...

Pls how much is the E6000 adhesive and where can I buy it in lagos.thanks

Unknown said...

Thank u so much for the kind words temilade *hugs* Hope I don't dissapoint!
@ temmy- I got mine for 1500naira but the last time I checked,it was going for 1200naira. You could try art shops,malls or bead shops.

Unknown said...

Forgot to add - there's a lil size of the E6000 glue, for about 500naira although it's more economical to get the bigger one. UHU glue wld do nicely too. I use both.

Anonymous said...

You pointed roughly finicky subject matter. These tips are very beneficial.

Unknown said...

@ anonymous - I didn't get you, could you please elaborate?

Anonymous said...

Awaiting more posts!

Ciaa said...

Great DIY idea. Its been a minute since I have done any.

Unknown said...

@ Ciaa- I'm sure you would soon enough :-)
Great thing about cutting your fabric on the bias, your finished bangle would have no folds whatsoever! That's by the way side, I love what you doing with your blog and would follow ASAP
@ Anonymous - Thanks for stopping! Would post soon enough. Just having 8 hour days :-) 'wish the days could be longer!' Says this lazy blogger :-(

jenny said...

Wow I have always wanted to do this would try to this weekend thanks Onnari.

Unknown said...

Gasp@ $210/$158. Whaaa?? chei!!

Oddly enough i was just thinking about trying my hands on some Ankara Bangles. Awesome. Thanks!!

http://kwalekreates.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Yeah they are pricey, thank God for the option of DIY :-)

Anonymous said...

Onnari,u ® such an inspiration.¶ cant believe there could eva b a DIY site in naija cos we tend 2 hide everything 2 ourselves.God bless u and more.am into wireworks myself and when am teachn ple 4 free,¶ get comments'like dint u pay money 2 learn ds things,so y teachn 4 free?' But smetimes its beyond money bt helpin odas in a little way. Oonari,God bless u,u will live to fulfill ur destiny.Bear hugs and kisses

Unknown said...

amen! May we all fulfill our dreams IJN! :-) thanx for d support/prayers/appreciation and keep visiting!

Anonymous said...

Thank u so much 4 d diy,God bless um I feel so relieved.

Anonymous said...

Great blog. I absolutely ♥ it. How do you put the ankara on a beaded bangle. Is it the same process as I feel d beads would be more challenging. Pls enlighten me

Unknown said...

thanks lots, what sort of beaded bangle though? are you referring to round actual beads?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for d free lessons...can d glue b removed easily incase i want to use d bangle for another ankara?...

Charmaine said...

I never knew we had E6000 in Nigeria. Last one I got I ordered and it made a dent in my wallet. Pls where exactly did you get yours?

Anonymous said...

Sincerely u r 1 of a kind, very nice of u to do dis. I undastand all cos its explanatory enough. Thanks God bless u

Unknown said...

@char- you can't at any art or book shop, craft shop or tailoring supplies shop.

Unknown said...

@ anon 19:30 you're very welcome and God bless you too!

Unknown said...

@ anon 19:30 you're very welcome and God bless you too!

Anonymous said...

nice tutorial.. thanks so much